Tuesday, May 29, 2012

More quotes

From Georgia O'Keeffe, on the Cerro Pedernal in the Jemez Mountains near her home in Abiquiu:

"It's my private mountain. It belongs to me. God told me if I painted it enough, I could have it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a letter to her husband Arthur Steiglitz in New York, O'Keeffe wrote in 1937 from Abiquiu:

"I've been up on the roof watching the moon come up--the sky very dark--the moon large and lopsided--and very soft--a strange white light creeping across the far away to the dark sky--the cliffs all black--it beautiful."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

O'Keeffe's friend, writer D.H. Lawrence wrote this about Taos, New Mexico:

"Never is the light more pure and overweening than there, arching with a royalty almost cruel over the hollow, uptilted world. It is so easy to understand that the Aztecs gave hearts of man to the sun...it is of a brilliant and unchallengeable purity and haughty serenity which would make one sacrifice the heart to it."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It seems as if Georgia painted words as beautifully as she painted pictures. Thank you for sharing these quotes!