Thursday, August 27, 2009

My little garden

This year was my first attempt at growing vegetables here in New Mexico. I tended to think of it as an experiment, to see what I could learn for the future.

These were my pepper and tomato plants in mid-May when I first planted them:





And this is how they look now. My little garden has for the most part been a success!




CHIVES AND BASIL PLANTS GROWN FROM SEED:



What have I learned?

1. The little irrigation system John hooked up has been great, but we have had to do quite a bit of adjusting in order not to water too little or too much.

2. Miracle Gro for Vegetables has been GREAT in producing larger and healthier plants.

3. Sometimes late in the day in the full afternoon sun, one of the tomato plants gets very wilted. We're thinking next year it will be best to use bigger pots.

2 comments:

Buck said...

2. Miracle Gro for Vegetables has been GREAT in producing larger and healthier plants.

I'll second that. I've been a big believer in Miracle Grow for years.

Jenny said...

Awesome!! I think I may try container vegetable gardening next year. I can't ever keep up with the weeds, and too scared to send the kids out there due to the rattlesnakes. shudder!!