Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The crosses at Chimayó

There is a place along a chain link fence at the Santuario de Chimayó where pilgrims leave crosses they have fashioned from twigs and other simple materials.

The first time we went to Chimayó years ago and I saw the fence full of handmade crosses -- and realized the simple faith expressed in them, I was overwhelmed and I stood there for the longest time, in awe.

Since that time years ago, the fence has been moved to another location, along the paved walkway from the parking lot up to the church. I still take time to stop and look at the crosses ... but I am amazed at the numbers of people who walk right past them without looking. Seems like we do that a lot in our lives.

I took these pictures when we were in Chimayó a week ago:




No comments: