Thursday, September 17, 2009

I'm published!

Earlier this week, I wrote a letter to the editor of our major local paper, The Santa Fe New Mexican, and today they published it in the paper. It was the first time I have even written a letter to the editor, and now that I am on a roll it will probably not be my last.

I was a little annoyed because they tinkered with my letter and made some minor changes, but I am told that often happens. They left the content of my message pretty much intact. A few of the comments following the letter were a little nasty, but I know that also comes with the territory when politics is being discussed.

Here is the text of my letter:

Last Saturday, I attended a "Tea Party" here at the New Mexico Capitol, which coincided with a huge march on Washington, D.C., and tea parties all across the country.

Here in Santa Fe, we counted 800-plus people from all over New Mexico gathering to protest some recent actions by our government: enormous spending, loss of our freedoms, elected representatives who do not respond to us, and a health care plan that is unacceptable to many of us.

These issues are very important; before this year, most of us had never attended a rally to protest anything in our lives. In the presence of this growing grass-roots movement all across the United States and in New Mexico, why did The Santa Fe New Mexican choose to ignore this event? There was not one word or picture of the rally in Santa Fe or the one in Washington. Why?


Sharon xxxxxxxxx
Santa Fe



Santa Fe New Mexican Letters to the Editor, September 17

1 comment:

Buck said...

Well done, Sharon. I read all the comments on the editorial(s) and wasn't surprised. More Lefty-Lib "same ol', same ol'." It seems like there's no hope when one reads krep like that.