Saturday, May 23, 2009

My new roses

I have always wanted to have a rose garden. Last summer when I was sick, my 83-year old Mom sent me a get well card with some money in it. I told her we were going to plant a rose garden with it.

Last weekend we picked out three pink antique rose bushes at Santa Fe Greenhouses (High Country Gardens.) John chopped and dug away horrible soil to get a hole big enough to plant the roses.

Roses do well here in the Santa Fe area, so we will see what kind of success we have.

Sugar loves the rose bushes. You can see her in two of the pictures sniffing around the new bushes.




6 comments:

Buck said...

We share that affinity for roses, Sharon. Good On Ya!

Towanda said...

I tried roses in Kansas, but only one bush survived through the years. Hoping to have better luck here in NM. So far so good. They look like they are doing well.

Unknown said...

Do you use mulch in NM? I don't remember seeing any, but then again I never come to NM when there isn't two feet of SNOW on the ground! LOL

Towanda said...

The previous owner laid a layer of mulch on the whole garden area, but when John dug the hole for the roses, the dirt under the top layer was just terrible and hard as a rock. So he put in a lot of soil mender --- and spread a lot of mulch on top of them. We'll see how they do.

Unknown said...

How did the roses do after your 10 day vacation? Still alive??

Towanda said...

The roses are still looking good, but may need some water for the next few days. I think there was some rain while we were gone. I have other xeric flowers in full bloom right now ... I am going to get some pictures today to post.