Friday, February 15, 2008

D. H. Lawerence

Quoted in The Spell of New Mexico, from Phoenix: The Posthumous Papers of D.H. Lawrence, copyright 1936:

"New Mexico, one of the United States, part of the U.S.A. New Mexico, the picturesque reservation and playground of the eastern states, very romantic, old Spanish, Red Indian, desert mesas, pueblos, cowboys, penitentes, all that film-stuff. Very nice, the great South-West, put on a sombrero and knot a red kerchief round your neck, to go out in the great free spaces.

This is New Mexico wrapped in the absolutely hygienic and shiny mucous-paper of our trite civilization. That is the New Mexico known to most of the Americans who know it at all. But break through the shiny sterilized wrapping, and actually touch the country, and you will never be the same again.

I think New Mexico was the greatest experience from the outside world that I ever had. It certainly changed me for ever."

****

"The moment I saw the brilliant, proud morning shine high up over the deserts of Santa Fe, something stood still in my soul, and I started to attend."

****

"In the magnificent fierce morning of New Mexico one sprang awake, a new part of the soul woke up suddenly, and the old world gave way to a new."

****

"For a greatness of beauty, I have never experienced anything like New Mexico."

~~D. H. Lawrence~~

4 comments:

Lin said...

Ohhh, I was waiting for you to come up with D.H. Lawrence! But his mention of 'mucous-paper' ... you were getting even with me for the plumbing story, weren't you? "Fess up, girl!

Towanda said...

I wonder what the heck mucous paper is anyway?

That almost rises to the level of the plumbing story!!!!!

Lin said...

Whatever it is, it wouldn't be a good marketing choice for paper names these days, that's for sure.

You are getting pretty close to your big exploratory trip to NM, aren't you? If you want to hook up with Red and Sally while you're here, send me a comment with your e-mail addie and I won't let it publish. I can send it to them and theirs to you. Looks like we will be socked in here for a couple more weeks with this mud but I know they would love to meet up with you.

Towanda said...

Lin,

We will be in Santa Fe Feb. 20-25. SOON!!!!!!

The first few days will be spent meeting with bankers and our real estate agent to look at about 15 houses. We are reserving the last two days to return to re-visit any houses we are considering and then (hopefully) put in an offer on the best one. This is REALLY EXCITING!

SO.....it looks like this trip will be for business only and not for fun..although we do NEED to get down to Albuquerque to visit my husband's cousin, who is elderly and whom we have not seen in several years.

I am looking forward to meeting Red and Sally ... but when there is time and we are not in a rush or have to cancel out .... maybe in a few months(!!!!!) when we get moved out there.

(I sent my email address to your blog.)