Thursday, December 4, 2008

New Mexican Bizcochitos



Bizcochitos have been the traditional Christmas cookie of New Mexico for many years.

I decided to add them to my holiday baking this year.

This recipe is very easy and the cookies are delicious.

(And this picture is the first one I have posted that I have taken with my new digital camera which I just got earlier this week.)

BIZCOCHITOS

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. anise seeds
3 Tbsp. sweet wine
-------------------
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon


1. Mix butter and sugar until creamy.
2. Add egg and beat until very fluffy.
3. Mix flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture.
4. Stir in wine and anise seed.
5. Roll dough out on floured board to 1/4" thickness, and cut into squares or fancy shapes.
6. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp. cinnamon and sprinkle on top of each cookie.
7. Bake at 350ยบ for 15-20 minues or until light brown.

------------------

Freezes well.

Makes 4 dozen.

Easy and good.

Recipe from Simply Simpatico Cookbook, Albuquerque Junior League, 1981.

------------------

7 comments:

Michelle H. said...

This looks delicious! You mentioned sweet wine. Is there a certain brand in particular that works best?

Towanda said...

We had some leftover (cheap) Zinfandel in the refrigerator so I used that.

I have seen some bizcochito recipes that call for brandy, but I never have any brandy in my house that I could swipe 3 tablespoons from.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy do those look tasty. May have to give those a try - sooner rather than later.

Jenny said...

Mmmmm, I can smell them from here (ok, really, I can't. I've never tried these so I really don't know how they smell!). Guess I'll have to buy some wine for it. Not a wine drinker here, I like my beer and margaritas. Think they would work with tequila? LOL!

Towanda said...

Heck who knows? Give it a try. LOL!

Val said...

One of my favorite treats this time of year! Yours look beautiful!

Buck said...

Ya get an "A" for presentation value, Sharon! That new camera works really well!

I'm thinking I really need a resident cookie-baker... ;-)