Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Sunflowers!



I love sunflowers! And they are in full bloom here in Northern New Mexico right now.

The little native sunflowers line the streets, roads and highways all over the Santa Fe area, both in town and out in the country.

Here in Eldorado, the sunflowers have been a blaze of golden color along our roads.

At early dawn, like soldiers in their places,
Rank upon rank the golden sunflowers stand;
Gazing toward the east with eager faces,
Waiting, until their god shall touch the land
To life and glory, longingly they wait,
Those voiceless watchers at the morning's gate.

~~By Albert Bigelow Paine~

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Fall and late summer in New Mexico is beautiful! Watch out for the turantulas, this is their time of year, too. As well as the rattlesnakes.

Val said...

I love the sunflowers! They are just brilliant this year!

Buck said...

Sunflowers are waaay-cool. They grow a lot of 'em commercially up in North Dakota, which is to say hundreds and hundreds of acres, if not thousands. The interesting thing? The flowers track the sun, as noted in your poem, Sharon. There were times when I had to drive a couple of hundred miles from where I was stationed (at the nexus of the NoDak, Sask and MT borders) down to Minot. I'd pass those acres of sunflowers on the way down and back... The sunflowers faced east in the morning, and west on my way back home. I always thought that was just so cool, and I'll never forget it, either!

Bag Blog said...

Sept. in NM is a great time. I think of the Goldenrod plant outside our little cabin and all of the bugs and bees that provided a great science lesson for my kids. There is just something about the air in Sept. It has its own special smell.

We will be in your neck of the woods this week.

Towanda said...

Lou! You are coming to New Mexico? To Red River?